Build products and services that are compliant, effective, efficient, and satisfying for all users.
The standards for digital accessibility laid out in the WCAG guidelines are precise in the way they discern between accessibility and usability, but also make it clear that many of the accessibility standards make digital products and properties more inherently usable.
This checklist helps you and your team to quickly grasp the spectrum of WCAG digital standard requirements for a variety of disabilities and start integrating accessibility standards into your workflows.Download: Digital Accessibility Checklist
Ensure your team has strategic visibility to address existing barriers, and prevent creating new ones.
When addressing accessibility barriers, impact and effort must be assessed – the impact the barrier is having on people with disabilities, and the effort required for repair. For each barrier, the following must be determined:
- Impact on people with disabilities. The actual impact on users of a specific barrier depends on the context of your site. For example, poor color contrast in the main content has high impact on some people with disabilities, whereas in generic footers it may have low impact.
- Effort required for repair. The time, cost, and skills to repair a barrier varies greatly based on parameters such as the type of repair and your development environment.
After you have repaired the major accessibility barriers on your website, there are several processes you’ll need to implement to help avoid creating new barriers and to continue improving the accessibility of your site.Connect with an Expert
Convey and extend your brand purpose through digital accessibility compliance.
Your brand has a “why”; a statement of purpose that tells the world what you do, and who you serve. Creating marketing collateral that meets WCAG/ADA digital accessibility standards doesn’t just put you on the right side of the law – it helps you extend your brand to engage communities you may not have been reaching before.
Become the agent of change who makes your enterprise more accessible to the world and brings higher purpose to the daily work of your teams.Let's Talk
Voluntary Product Accessibility Templates
A properly completed VPAT should break down everything that you’re doing regarding product accessibility in an incredible level of detail. Based on this document, your product will be given one of the following levels:
- Supports. This means that you either meet all the specific factors dictated by the Revised Section 508 Standards in a very literal way, or you accomplish the same goals by way of “an equivalent facilitation.”
- Partially Supports. As the term suggests, this means that you meet a majority of the criteria in the Revised Section 508 Standards, but there may still be certain “known defects” (read:things you have to work on) that are present.
- Does Not Support.This describes a situation where the majority of your product’s functionality does not meet the Revised Section 508 Standards in any way, shape or form.
The Case for Accessible Digital Design
Can be Elegant
Web design for accessibility means building content that people with all abilities and devices can interact with, but it doesn’t mean compromising on visual design. Building to WCAG-compliant standards preserves your visual design elements, while ensuring that your code delivers your company’s message in a way that is understandable to different people, assistive technologies, and even search engines.
Making digital accessibility a matter of process at your company inspires an inclusive mindset, stretching your design teams in new directions creatively and challenging them to build for everyone.
Accessibility Supports Acquisition
There is a compelling business case to be made for meeting or exceeding digital disability standards.
Disabilities take many forms, just like your customers. Considering that roughly 1-in-4 people live with some form of disability, it’s simple mathematics to understand how building your digital assets to meet WCAG standards means expanding your enterprise’s opportunity to acquire new customers.
Become an Agent of Change.
A digital accessibility initiative makes for a compelling project for crossfunctional collaboration in an organization and leaves a legacy of inclusiveness in its wake. eSSENTIAL Accessibility works with your team to build a system of record to ensure that inclusive design practices become baked-in to how your organization works to create all future content.
Become the agent of change who makes your enterprise more accessible to the world and brings higher purpose to the daily work of your teams.
What is Assistive Technology?
eSSENTIAL Accessibility’s innovative Assistive Technology toolbar and mobile application enhances the customer experience for people who have trouble typing, moving a mouse, gesturing or reading a screen.
The technology is a suite of keyboard, mouse and touch replacement solutions designed to make the digital world accessible to people with physical disabilities.
With the assistive technology applications, customers can effortlessly:
- Make purchases or conduct transactions anytime, anywhere
- Have a consistent experience with your brand across devices
- Navigate a website to gather information as part of their buying journey
Why Include Assistive Technology?
Enhance Customer Experience
Your responsibility is well-defined and absolute.
Part of the W3C’s Essential Components of Web Accessibilty
Build products and services that are effective, efficient, and satisfying for all users.
Provide access for everyone.
Assistive Technology for Browsers Info
A solution designed to make the digital world accessible to people with physical disabilities.Read More about Assistive Technology for Browsers Info
Assistive Technology for Android Info
Assistive technology tailored for use on mobile devices using the Android OS.Read More about Assistive Technology for Android Info